Friday, October 9, 2009

What the??




I know these pictures are a bit hard to see but the humidity this morning kept fogging up my camera lens. When I looked out my front door this morning I found this HUGE spider had made it's web in my outdoor entrance way. Literally at head height. I knew I couldn't leave it there but I also wasn't sure how to kill it. I don't like killing things that go squish.
It was a team Otis effort. I got the shovel and broke the web bringing the spider down to the ground. The stupid thing wouldn't get off the shovel though. Picture this if you will. Me in my PJs hitting a shovel against my walkway. I had 1 neighbor out with her dog and another one driving off to work. Yep, I'm pretty sure they thought I had lost my mind.
Once I got it off the shovel Nate had to squish it. Took 3 times of stepping on it for it to die. Now my million dollar question is...What type of spider is it? It was brown, furry, with light gray or white stripes. Can you imagine walking through its web and getting that thing on you. Gives me the shivers. What am I grateful for though? At least it was outside and not on my 15 feet ceiling.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh my jellybeans!
I hate spiders and can totally get a visual from your post, too funny!

From your description it sounds like a brown recluse, they are found here and poisonous I think.

Crandalls said...

I am glad you found our blog! I have some vinyl pics at home that I can get you this weekend. I have done a lot more than I have pictures of since I mostly mail the vinyl back to Louisiana and never get pictures of the finished product! I cut some vinyl for Sue Ellen if you are interested in seeing it in person.

My vinyl machine hooks up to the computer so basically I can cut any basic design or font of your choice.

Anyways, if you are interested in pics, let me know your email and I will send them your way.

Sierra

P.S. Gross Spider!

The Moyers said...

Yuck! I can't stand spiders...even little ones!

whippetmom said...

sounds like it was an ordinary orb spider (the stripes do anyways). not poisonous, good for catching bugs but still don't blame you for smushing it!