Thursday, October 1, 2009

Hawai'i on the Gov't Dime

Yes, I went to Hawai'i without my wife. Yes, my name is mud, and yes, I made a reservation for spring break to bring them here. Actually I was more disappointed to land here than our original destination of Spokane, but I might as well make the most of the experience.


We went hiking in the mountains just outside of Honolulu to Moana Falls. I short 0.8 mile hike. They film part of the TV show "LOST" in the jungle here. We ate at this dumpy little treetop resturant that the owner was more than excited to tell us his building had been in the TV show. Yep, the place looked like a dump, food was ok and the price....no wonder I get as much per diem as I do, it was outrageous.

We also hiked Diamond Head, a must do while you are here. A word of warning, make sure you save your cardio workout for the day you climb to the top of Diamond Head, if you've been there you understand, if you haven't, there's no shortcut to the top, if you know what I mean.
The most surprising part of the trip has been our hotel. They actually put us up downtown! Ha, I love it when that happens. Below is the view from my Lanai in my room. I will post more pictures of my island adventures as they happen, until then Aloha!




2 comments:

eNJay & B said...

chris, lucky guy. while you're there, try some poi. that's one of our favorite hawaiian foods. just know that we like it best with vanilla soymilk mixed in or milk and sugar added to it. it's really good.

can't wait to see more pics of your island adventures.

Jen said...

Must be rough! ;) Looks beautiful though!