Friday, September 4, 2009

HHH - Wichita Falls 29 Aug 2009

I DID it. 6 hours and 20 minutes was our official ride time. No thanks to Chris.
Last summer Chris got this great idea that it would be SO much fun to ride a 100 mile bike ride together. I have been training for 6 months for this ride. Chris kept telling me how "over" trained I was for this ride. I wouldn't have wanted to be much more under trained as it is a lesson in mental toughness as much as physical toughness.
Of course, the USAF had other plans and Chris was in Vegas for Red Flag. Chris' mom came out to watch Nate so I could do the ride. A shout out to Francine as I wouldn't have been able to do the ride without her.
Lucky for me I had other friends to do the ride with. I don't know if I would have finished had I been by myself. That would have been a lonely 100 miles.
I know it's hard to tell but I am pooped. This is the end of the race. I can assure you that Wichita Falls, TX is NOT flat when you're riding on a bike. I think that race organizers found ever hill and then decided it would be fun to have us ride up them. The roads were very bumpy and your whole body vibrated for about 90 miles. I believe the last 10-15 miles the road smoothed out. You could actually hear again. It's amazing how much noise a bike can make.


At mile 60 I wasn't sure if I was going to finish. We hit a headwind and my Heartrate soared to 160bpm. I was dying. That lasted for 20-25 miles. I was counting down every mile. Once we hit 85 those things started to get better. I believe it was the smoother road.

Hillary and I at the finish line. At mile 75 after we stopped at a rest stop to refill water bottles nothing was more uncomfortable then getting BACK on the bike. Took a mile or two for the butt to go numb again so we could continue down the road.




4 comments:

Sparks said...

This is a HUGE accomplishment, way to go!! I totally appreciate people like you who do these sort of things so people like me don't have to! LOL

Hillary said...

I am so proud of us! By the way, who is that giant you are standing by....

whippetmom said...

Wow! You are amazing! Ya'll are all so athletic! :)

eNJay & B said...

kaye i can't even imagine doing that. i can guarantee that i won't be doing anything that involved--whether on a bike, running, ect, ect.

but i'm proud of you. good job! you'll always be able to say you did it. not a small thing.