Friday, September 18, 2009

Handbook for dealing with crazy spouse left behind

So, due to national security and all that mumbo jumbo I'm not suppose to give specifics. Most of you know that Chris is leaving soon for the next 4-5 months. I thought I'd give you a heads up on how to deal with me while he's gone.
Handbook Rules
1. Don't tell me how "lucky" I am that he's only gone for X number for months or to X location. When's the last time you felt lucky for having your loved one gone?
2. Don't ask "How" I'm doing. Ask "What" I'm doing or what I've been up too. I probably won't tell you that I'm lonely or that I cry at night. Leave that alone as I hate showing emotions.
3. Interact with Nate. He's missing his Dad too.
4. We love emails, text messages, and phone calls. So does the deployed spouse. He'll lonely too.
5. Remember special days. Celebrating by oneself sucks.
6. Help us take our mind off the slow moving months. It's hard to keep being asked how much longer till he returns. We don't know exactly when that is. He's here, when he's here. (Hopefully by the 15th of February)
Most of all, know that when we're moody, snippy, or just plain hard to deal with sometimes we need a little bit more love instead of being left alone. We will do our best to push you away (see #2 above).

5 comments:

The Addams Family said...

I SO wish we lived closer! We'd have fun to take your mind off of it!

Sparks said...

(((hugs))) Thinking of you!

Hillary said...

Thanks for the heads up with the rules... I will try to follow them, but you know me....

whippetmom said...

:) Really like this post! Andrew leaves Thursday. What's a good time for Nate to go bowling? We're free just about all the time, so just let me know what works for you guys!
Are you going running with everyone on Saturday?

eNJay & B said...

kk,
i'll have to try calling you all more often...that way i can get you excited about your trip out here!