Friday, September 12, 2008

HOLY FREAKIN' COW(S)!!!! LITERALLY

I am going to try to set the scene but thinking about what could have happened still leaves me feeling sick to my stomach and quite shaken. I travel I-220 25 miles each way to and from work. It's not so bad cause there rarely is a lot of traffic to have to content with. Now that Hurricane Ike is coming in there are more people are the roads, therefore, more congestion. Here's the scene as best as I can describe in words. I'm not sure I'm still function right yet.

I am traveling down the road at 70 mph. Speed limit is 60 but no one goes that slow. I am passed by a semi transporting cows like I'm standing still. That guy must have been going at least 75-80mph. There is a sharp curve coming up and the highway signs say SLOW DOWN 45mph and have a picture of a semi truck on it tipping over. Semi is in left lane. I am in left lane and approximately 2 car lengths behind him. Semi doesn't slow down for curve (IDIOT! Didn't you see the sign), veres over to the right lane, over-corrects comes back into the left lane, then flips on its side and slides into barrier. Meanwhile, backend flips out to the left lane and almost takes me out too.

You know how people say time slows down during something like this. Let me assure you it's true. Each movement was like a camera picture slowly passing you by. The only reason I didn't get hit is because just seconds the truck flipped I felt prompted to slow down immediately. I knew something bad was going to happen. Otherwise, I would have either been (1) smashed between the semi and the cement barrier (Yuck, I'm in the civic) or (2) thrown over the overpass (not sure that's a good option either).

Now as to the Title heading. Yes, cows are either dead on the side of the road or running around. Either one is not a pleasant option as this is an interestate. I called 911 and was trying to give them directions to where we were located but I have having a hard time getting my brain to work. I could see the highway signs telling us exactly where we were but I just couldn't spit it out. That poor operator but have been so annoyed with me. I finally did get them the information but geez, adrenaline was pumping through my body at such a high rate of speed and I had tingling in the fingers and arms, let alone trying to get my brain and mouth to function too.

So that's the excitement on our end. Lets just say I am glad to be alive and hate semis even more now then ever. Now we just have to get past Hurrican Ike. How inconvenient right?! :)

5 comments:

Malisa said...

Holy Cow is right! We are so glad you are okay. Are you still shaking? Because I think I would be. Close calls like that always freak me out!

eNJay & B said...

kay-kay,

that is crazy. oh man it got my heart beating just reading about it. car crash is not the way i'd like to go. can the truck driver get ticked/sued...that's definitely reckless driving.

i'm so glad you're ok.

The Otis Family said...

I'm sure the driver will get sued/ticketed over something. There was a lot of dead cargo (aka cows) on the road. I guess this happened about 9 months ago with another semi carrying cows.Must just be semis who carry cows that aren't thinking huh?

Peppermint Lane said...

I'm so glad your okay. It is always a little nerve racking when you are close to being in accident and see one unfold in front of you. Hopefully, you won't see any more cows on the roadway, soon!

Hillary said...

Oh my gosh! I just saw this on the news last night. You are so lucky. Glad you listened and slowed down!