Friday, May 7, 2010

Riding with the "Big" boys

This is Billy. He's from the UK. He's been here at BAFB for the last 3 years. I've only known him for 18 months. He is A HUGE cycling fan. I see him almost everytime I go ride. He is moving back to the UK and so we had a last group ride on base. We had 15 people out for the ride. It was a no-drop ride which I thought was a little funny. They still rode fast. No drop must mean ride faster because we don't want you holding us up.
Here are the stats.
Avg speed on the way out=17mph
Avg speed on the way home 20mph
Top speed 30mph (that was going downhill, while drafting behind some bigger boys)
For those in the "know" we rode the flight line coming home at 22-23mph.(FYI-Always a headwind)
Avg HR 169bpm
Max HR 189bpm (thought I was going to die at this point)
Rode 19 miles in 58min16 seconds. That's my course record.
What I learned? That group riding every once in a while can be lots of fun.



Skills I'm still working on: Taking corners. They freak me out. I always see myself crashing. Not great for the ego.
I promise that Chris didn't take this picture. I don't know WHY men think it's great to get shots from behind. Pun intented.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Wow, that is fast!