Saturday, November 28, 2009

Australia and Thanksgiving

About a week ago, we flew down and participated in an exercise off the east coast of Australia. I never been to Australia or flown that far south of the equator. Weather was pretty good on the way down there, we just had to avoid a typhoon on the way back, no problem. The first picture is of the Northern coast of Papa New Guinea. Really not much on the island, in fact flying back we crossed it at night and there were only a handful of lights. Most of those were camp fires. The second picture is of Australia and the turquios looking thing in the water is part of the Great Barrier reef. I can say I have seen it, although at 28,000 feet it looks like stuff underwater. Anyway, from the most northern tip of Australia all the way down the east coast you can see the reef. Hopefully I can get a closer inspection of the reef some day. Airline tickets can't be that much right?

We also hosted a Thanksgiving dinner block party and invited all of those from home to it. We planned on 200 but only got just over 100. There were 15 or so Turkeys, 5 hams and all of the sides. Really it was some of the best food I have had here on the island. The chow hall has become known as the Hall of Disappointment, cause all you get is plate after plate of disappointment. I heard there were left overs but never got any. Although I have two trays of Jell-O salad that were hardly touched. Guess I know what I will be eating for snacks.






1 comment:

The Otis Family said...

Hard to imagine you're having a hard time out on the island. I'll trade you for a week.