Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Chris and Nathan on one of our many hikes through Big Bend National Park. It was really hot there but we climbed about 2,500 feet in elevation and it felt great up here. As you can see we had to dress in layers.
Okay so you can't really see Nathan and I but at the bottom of that cave is a small dark speck. That's me. Nathan thought it would be soooo easy to climb a sand dune. Having grown up on the Oregon coast I knew he had no idea what he was doing so I challenged him to a race. I won hands down. It had been about 12 years since I've last run up a sand dune for XC practice but I still had it in me. I did think my heart was going to jump out my chest by the time I reached the top. Chris was smart. He stayed at the bottom.
As you can see there's no shade anywhere. This was a fun hike cause you started at the top and then went down in elevation about 2,000 feet. Of course all I could think about was that a mountain lion had been spotted here the day before. I was making plenty of noise. No way that that lion going to come across me awares.
I don't think there's much you can say. This is just my life of raising a boy.
Can you see all that sand he's dumping out of his shoes. That's from climbing the sand dune.

1 comment:

The Addams Family said...

I LOVE it! Good job! I've added you to my links on our blog!